Monday, October 7, 2013

Thanks For The Memories

This picture was taken last month in front of my old high school. I love the look of this school, very mighty and majestic looking, classic.  They have a new high school building now that's on the other side of town, apparently the foundation in the old school is shifting and it's slowly sliding down the hill it sits on.  Such a shame for such a regal looking building that holds so many memories for so many. My sister and I both requested a brick if they decide to tear it down. My most favorable memories of my high school time were all the basketball games.  This school is home of the Lawrenceville "Indians", Illinois Class A high school state basketball champions in 1972, 1974, and back-to-back in 1982 and 1983, my junior and senior years, which had a combined two season win-loss record of 68-0. The team was coached by Ron Felling, who, after the 1983 season at Lawrenceville, went on to IU as assistant coach to Bobby Knight.  Mr. Felling was also my drivers education teacher, he was known more for being fun and lax, so needless to say I did not perfect my parking nor driving skills during that hour of time, but it was fun. The championship was quite a big deal for this quiet small town and it has not happened since.  My Dad drove to most of the away tournament games so it was a slow build of anticipation to see our team finally win the championships in Champaign, IL.  Those are sweet memories.  Basketball is my favorite sport to watch, most likely because of my high school years.
 
My oldest son is now in high school, though since we home school, it is not as dramatic as I remember my first day walking into that big school was.  Seeing the changes he is going through has reminded me of both the joys and lows of the high school years.  Looking back on those four years now makes me thankful for the little bit of wisdom and maturity I think I have gained since then.  It was just an awkward time for me, my shyness in some ways kept me a prisoner to fear and worrying what others thought of me over-rided my interests and participation in a lot of things.  Not that I did not have some really good times because I really did and I had some great friends I am thankful to still be in touch with. I just see how my insecurity held me back and kept me from enjoying those years to the fullest extent.  I still have insecurity, I suppose no one is completely exempt from it, but as I have grown in my relationship with the Lord, He has filled me with a passion and a joy that can not come from anything else, from anyone else. 

 My favorite Psalm is Psalm 139 that says God knew me while I was still in my mom's womb, His eyes saw my unformed body and all my days were written before they came to be.  That's hard to comprehend, but it gives me an assurance that I can trust God to be sovereign.  My value is in Him, which can not be moved or continuously changed based on my own performance or in what others think of me.  So even though I did not really know this then, in my high school years, I do now, and as I allow that truth to sink deep down into the marrow of my being, I can learn from my past, accept it, and be thankful for truth.  As my son is now set to navigate through the high school years himself, I can offer compassion and point him to the same One that formed him in my womb, that saw his unformed body, that knows the number of his days before they even came to be, and will be there to guide him, and his brothers after him.  Someday, they too will look back on their high school memories as I have mine, and they will say, just like I have, "Thanks for the memories."



No comments:

Post a Comment